Powered By Blogger

Friday, February 03, 2012

Emergency dentist visit

Yesterday, I treated myself to a Whopper meal from Burger King at lunchtime.  As I was finishing my fries, I felt pain in my mouth and realized I broke a tooth. I took a half-day off work and  I quickly got myself to a phone to call my dentist.  He was unavailable and the receptionist asked if I wanted to make an appointment for Monday.  I told her I needed immediate care.  She did some research and suggested another dentist.  I  did a little research of my own and found one not far from work.  After about a half-hour of getting the group number of the dentist and a fax number to give to my insurance to get the referral through, I set up the appointment.  It was on the 20th floor of an office building. They had me fill out some paperwork then set about xraying the offending tooth.  The dentist told me the tooth was cracked and had to go.  I took a Xanax then the dentist shot my upper palate and gums with Novocaine.  About ten minutes later, the dentist then began pulling the tooth.  The scariest part was the Novocaine not only froze the area around the tooth but also the lower eyelid of my left eye and my left nostril.  I guess the nerves are all connected.  The extraction took about an hour.  I had a few moderate panic attacks but I kept it together quite well.  Afterward, there was a period of cleaning up.  My left side upper jaw was swollen and there was some blood left on my lips.  I was given prescriptions for pain killers (Tylenol 3 with codeine) and an antibiotic (Amoxicillin).  I left the building after paying the bill, walked about three blocks to Walgreens, got my meds, and took a cab home.  I was told the Novocaine would take about 2-3 hours to wear off..yeah right, it took nearly SEVEN hours.  I guess I'm getting mentally stronger enduring this without much additional Xanax.   It is now nearly 12 hours since extraction and while I feel sore, I'm doing very well.  

3 comments:

Local Emergency Dentists said...

Great job max, immediate care for tooth is very important, i salute you for immediate response.

Unknown said...

it very good and nice post. You could lose your teeth due to many reasons. Some people are born with crooked teeth.
emergency dentist orlando

Lillian Stuart said...

Definitely,what a fantastic blog and enlightening posts,I definitely will bookmark your website.Best Regards!
Emergency dentist stamford